Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Sangay, El Altar, y "Coche 22"

This morning is the clearest morning I've seen yet during my time here.  From my window I can see 2 volcanoes bursting up from the horizon.  Really, they look a little out of place  The grass and trees are so green and the mountains I can usually see are lush with vegetation... but these volcanoes aren't shy... they are snow capped, brilliant, and put the rest of the mountains to shame for beauty and size.
Volcan Sangay (above) and El Altar (below).

I am nearing the end of my second to last "turno"  (aka. on-call day) here at HVO.  I had a patient come in last evening unresponsive, basically all of his organs have shut down except his heart and lungs.  I was sitting in the room with him writing on his chart when I realized I hadn't heard his gurgly breathing in a few seconds.  I quickly listened for breath sounds, ran to the hallway to elicit some help, and we called a "Coche 22".  I'm still confused as to why a "Code" (aka. code blue, harvey team, when someone's goes into cardio/pulmonary arrest) is called a coche 22... it translates to something like "22nd cart".  I intubated him and used the ambu-bag for a good 1.5 hours while the ventilator was being set up.  He's still hanging in there this morning, and thankfully his whole family has been able to come to be with him in his last hours.  They are from a very rural jungle area...His son showed up last night with indian paint masking his face.

No comments: