Thursday, July 24, 2008

early bird




It seems like every night on call has its own little thing to help get you through the night.  On Tuesday night, I was hoping it would be sweet sleep and dreams of good ol' Tennessee.... but instead it was sweet little Milena, all 3036 grams of her, born at 3:45am!  Her mom must have yelled at least 15 times "Cut me in half, get this baby out of me now!"  But in the end, all of her pain and effort was worth it for her beautiful little girl.  

I don't think the birth of a child will ever cease to seem a miracle to me.  To go from one minute with a woman lying in front of me, screaming in pain, with a gigantic convexity protruding from her abdomen, to the next minute with a slimy, but beautiful nonetheless, baby crying in my arms.  Miracle.  There's no other word for it.

1 comment:

christine said...

Hola Kat - reading your blog is a joy - your setting reminds me of my childhood years in the Putumayo, not too far as the crow flies from Shell. - I am so proud of you! muchas bendiciones de tu ex-profesora.