Tuesday, July 1, 2008

my downhill arrival and guinea pig xrays

My first rainforest rain tonight... it's refreshing. It's humid (like Memphis) but cool (unlike Memphis). And the view from my front door is nothing like Memphis at all-- it's the foothills of the Andes caped in clouds and the jungle trees making their way up in elevation to meet with the heights. I don't think I'll mind this view for the next two months.

I landed in Quito last night (elevation 9000ft), and rode to Shell today-- a 5 and a half hour trip with a charming taxi driver named Maximo and a missionary nurse who's been working in the deep jungles doing health education for 29 years. Shell sits wedged between the Andes and the Amazon rainforest at ~3500ft, so our trip today was downhill the whole way. The mountains were beautifully patchworked with crops up to the harsh cloud line, which I'm told was hiding the snow capped volcanic peaks.

Already I've been warned by many that Ecuadorian medicine involves many things never before seen (or even thought of) in the States. For example, the "jungle XRay". Picture this... your patient is in an accident, probably many fractures, maybe even some internal bleeding, and there's no XRay machine to be found for hundreds of miles. That's where the guinea pig comes in. Yes, guinea pig. The guinea pig, who I'm sure would rather be the first subject of a dangerous research study, is then taken and rolled with great fury and force over the patients entire body. Needless to say, the guinea pig dies during the process and is then cut open and carefully dissected... wherever the guinea pig has internal injuries and fractures is the source of the patients pain. (Somehow I think that maybe most of these patients are diagnosed with far more injuries than they really have, based on the guinea pigs appearance anyway). And this is why I don't recommend going to a jungle shaman for xrays... but the next time I'm having trouble with long lines for the xray machines at the Med, maybe I'll stop by PetSmart to get the job done a little more quickly?

7 comments:

Rachelle said...

so excited for you!!! you are in Good Hands....love you and praying for you!!!

WoRds/WoNDer said...

Poor guinea pigs :( I bet you'll greatly improve your assessment and creative thinking skills, though w/o all the luxuries. Blessings!

Unknown said...

Speaking of guinea pigs, don't forget to try the roasted guinea pig on a stick. mmm, mmm, good.

jgregor9 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jgregor9 said...

Whoo hoo! You made it! Lookin' forward to reading what all adventures you're gonna be telling us about.

Unknown said...

Kat, I am so proud of you! I know that God is going to teach you so many things over the next 2 months. I am envious of your view of the mountains each morning, and I can't wait to hear about all your adventures. Even more than that, I look forward to hearing how God transforms you and speaks to you. I am not sure if guinea pigs would qualify as EBM, but I also am sure you will be surprised of some of the herbal mountain medicine that works quite well. Love ya girl and please let me know how I can be praying specifically for you! Karen

The Ottinger Family said...

Hey Lady! OK, so I did not realize you were already gone! I called you today and left you a message on your cell! Dax had out patient surgery at LeB and I wanted to see if you were there...Ha Ha...I had not idea you were on such a wonderful adventure! Praying for God's blessing on you and all that you do! Have a wonderful time!
Tona